Hospitality Insights publication Ernst & Young published in 2008 that “organizations, corporations and consumers are increasingly focusing on the need to exist in harmony with their surroundings and reduce their environmental footprints. The hospitality industry is no exception, and finally, the concept of sustainability has begun to gain momentum in this sector.”
The report was spot-on. Going green has certainly become a standard in the hospitality industry and something guests are almost expecting to see during their stay. From energy saving appliances to cleaning supplies and bedding – there are so many ways to boost your sustainability efforts.
It’s a trend that is only growing stronger and if your hotel is falling behind, it’s time to start making changes. The American Hotel Register Living Green program is offering up to 40% off on 1888 Mills Green Threads linen and terry through December 2012. These linens offer a pure, plush, organic comfort with the assurance of 100% organic cotton that is grown free of pesticides and processed in a factory free of any harmful substances in production of the product, making it Oeko-Tex certified. This product is also top quality with long-lasting exceptional softness and anti-pill bed superiority over traditional linens.
Not only will your guests appreciate that you are showing respect for the environment, they will also notice a difference in their comfort level. The Habitat Suites in Austin, TX has seen evidence of guests experiencing better sleep in their hotel than in hotels that use pesticides and toxic cleaning chemicals.
Check out this extensive database of other hotels that are increasing sustainability on the EcoGreenHotel website. If you could use some additional tips on Living Green, check out our wide selection of products or contact one of our representatives for energy saving ideas and tips.
Going green not only appeals to guests, it can help save you money. It’s a complete win-win situation!
At American Hotel Register Company, we recognize the importance of instituting environmentally friendly practices into all aspects of our business. Our Living Green program is designed to support the environmental responsibility of the hospitality industry by developing and sourcing environmentally preferred products and packaging, by educating customers about environmental issues, and by making our corporate headquarters and regional distribution centers as environmentally efficient as possible.
Going green conserves the environment and saves money! Today there are hundreds of products available to support your sustainability program and a variety of tips that can be implemented to increase your hotel’s environmental awareness while saving money.
Here are just a few:
- When thinking about saving electricity with lighting, not only should you convert to more sustainable lightbulbs in lamps, but convert overhead commercial lighting as well. Compact fluorescent bulbs last 10 times as long as incandescent bulbs and use 75 percent less energy— meaning that one bulb can save you $25 over the lifetime of the bulb.
- Use refillable soap and shampoo dispensers. Eliminate those little plastic bottles and wasted product! Please consider donating opened toiletries to organizations in need rather than discarding.
- Provide 100% RainforestAllianceCertified Coffee for your in-room coffee program. Guests will love the superior flavor – and each cup brewed ensures local coffee farmers fair wages and working conditions.
- Why not offer beverage glasses in guest rooms rather than disposable plastic cups? Not only will you reduce your carbon footprint, you’ll save money on supplying hundreds of new cups every day.
- Purchase pre-laundered towels and sheets and eliminate initial laundering expenses. You’ll enjoy reduced energy, water and labor costs, too!
We invite you to take a look at more of our great Living Green tips on our website. By implementing a few easy changes, together we can make a difference in conserving natural resources.